- This event has passed.
Celebrate Southern Storytellers
Thursday July 20, 2023 @ 7:00 pm
Join KET for this special event that celebrates Southern storytelling and features a performance by acclaimed singer-songwriter S.G. Goodman!
Celebrate Southern Storytellers, a free KET event, takes place Thursday, July 20, beginning at 7 pm at The Burl in Lexington.
The event features a performance by and interview with Kentucky singer-songwriter S.G. Goodman as well as video interviews with several prominent Kentuckians talking about how stories influence their work, including:
• Jon Cherry, a Louisville-based Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist whose work has appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post Magazine and Getty Images
• Dr. A. Gwynn Henderson, the education director at the Kentucky Archaeological Survey
• Silas House, a best-selling writer who was named Kentucky’s Poet Laureate in 2023
• Chef Lawrence Weeks, the executive chef at North of Bourbon in Louisville, which celebrates Deep Southern cuisine
The event is being held in conjunction with the new multiplatform PBS series, Southern Storytellers, which features several of the South’s writers, musicians and more discussing how the place in which they grew up informs their songs, poems, films and plays.
And be sure to tune in to KET for Southern Storytellers, which premieres on July 18 at 9/8 pm on KET and features interviews with novelists Jesmyn Ward, Angie Thomas and David Joy; country music artist Lyle Lovett; poet Jericho Brown; actor Billy Bob Thornton; songwriters Brittany Howard, Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires and Adia Victoria.
At a glance
- When: Thursday, July 20 | Doors open at 6 pm | Program starts at 7 pm
- Where: The Burl | 375 Thompson Road, Lexington, KY 40508
- Parking is available in The Burl’s parking lot and also along Thompson Road.
- Admission: Free, but reservations are encouraged.
This event is free but registration for this event is strongly encouraged. We anticipate a capacity crowd and priority entrance will be given to those who pre-register.
The event is general admission with limited seating and plenty of standing room. If you require a seat or other accommodation, please indicate that need on our registration form.
About the event venue
- Parking is available in a large lot that is shared with The Local Wag and Burn Boot Camp. If full, there is street parking available on Thompson Road.
- The event is general admission with limited seating and plenty of standing room. If you require a seat or other accommodation, please indicate that need on our registration form.
- Food is available onsite for purchase from Kismet.
About S.G. Goodman
S.G. Goodman was raised in Western Kentucky on the Mississippi River Delta, in a strict church going family of row crop farmers. She went from singing in church three times a week to becoming a prominent member of the Murray, KY indie scene.
Her debut album, Old Time Feeling, was co-produced by Jim James of My Morning Jacket. The album has been described as Americana, folk, country, and rock. In June 2022, Goodman released her second album, Teeth Marks, on Verve Forecast
About the series
In three one-hour-long episodes, Southern Storytellers celebrates Southern identity through the eyes of contemporary creators of literature, music, film and TV, among them authors Angie Thomas, Jesmyn Ward and David Joy; poet Jericho Brown; songwriters Lyle Lovett, Tarriona “Tank” Ball, Jason Isbell and Justin Moore; songwriter/actor Mary Steenburgen; songwriter/screenwriter/actor Billy Bob Thornton; and screenwriters Qui Nguyen and Michael Waldron.
Tune in for the premiere: Tuesday, July 18 at 9/8 pm on KET