Alain de Botton and Brian Stelter
Alain de Botton, author of The News: A User’s Manual, is interviewed by Brian Stelter, senior media correspondent for CNN Worldwide and host of Reliable Sources.
Watch the Program and Web Exclusive Videos:
After the taping of Great Conversations, the audience is invited to ask questions of the author. KET presents these after-the-show segments as online exclusives.
- Why do news organizations present a serious news story with a subjective, more dramatic tone? (1:52)
- What do you mean when you suggest news organizations should use news items to help us flourish? (2:35)
- What kind of sentences and comments on life do you look for in writers you enjoy? (1:16)
- Does news coverage and television commentary create the attitude of meritocracy in American society? (5:13)
- Do you have a reading list to help me pass on a good philosophy to the child I am now expecting? (1:28)
- Is television news coverage causing increases in crime and tragedies that lead viewers to believe their quality of life is decreasing? (3:59)
For more information on past and upcoming programs, visit the Kentucky Author Forum Web site maintained by the University of Louisville.